Thursday 19 November 2015

Textual Analysis: Film Conclusion

Through my research and my textual analysis of short films and documentaries, I have learnt many things about the expected codes and conventions present, both through the visual and technical aspects of film.

  1. All of the short films and documentary style films that I looked at consisted of no more than 1-3 characters that were central to the nature of the plot. This may be due to the lack of screen time, as there is not enough time to introduce more than 3 characters who each have relevance to the storyline without it becoming confusing for the audience. The less characters there are, the easier it is for the audience to engage in following their individual story/influence. I plan to follow this convention within my own work, however this may be jeaopordised if I choose to go through with the interview idea; if so, I will develop upon this convention and include the use of a voice over to read facts throughout- this way the audience is following the voice of one person through audio even though they may be following the stories of multiple people visually. 
  2. Subtitles appear to be very common within the documentary genre, as seen in 'Right to Education'; many documentaries focus on the stories of real-life people and their experiences, therefore it is essential that this can be followed and understood by the audience. If the audio appears difficult to interpret, this must be clarified via the use of on screen text. As well as assisting the audience's understanding of the narrative, this also causes audience's to engage with the product more actively, as they would be reading the information for themselves rather than being handed the information passively. I am hoping that my own audio will consist of a certain level of clarity to which subtitles are not needed, however I may wish to include them regardless to ensure the active engagement of the audience.
  3. Establishing shots are very common within the short film industry, most likely because there is not enoough time to introduce and develop upon the setting over time. The setting is therefore emphasised near the beginning of the sequence in order to create a sense of familiarity between the audience and their on screen surroundings. Due to my own product being featured around the streets of London, I feel it to be essential that I highlight the importance of my setting through multiple establishing shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment